According to legend, the coast of Singapore was once infested with ferocious swordfishes that even the Royal Army were fearful of.
An exclusive ExplorerSG mini series where we reveal some of the lesser-known places, facts and history of Singapore.
Follow ExplorerSG on Facebook and stay updated on #exploringsingapore weekly series!
The tree is believed to have existed before the founding of the Botanic Gardens in 1859, putting the tree at over 160 years old!
Before it’s now-popular name, Sentosa was formerly known as Pulau Blakang Mati, which means “Island of Death Behind”, in Malay.
Tucked away just off the main road of Grange Road, the modern mansion was the center of a legal dispute that spanned over four decades.
Completed in 1910, the majestic Anderson Bridge was built to alleviate traffic on the adjacent Cavenagh bridge — the oldest existing bridge in Singapore.
The name is a combination of “mer” — a prefix applied to partly sea-creatures —and “lion”. The lion head signifies Sang Nila Utama’s discovery of a lion when he first landed on the island, and the fish body pays tribute to Singapore’s humble beginnings as a fishing village.