Originally a swamp, Chinese medicine seller Sng Teow Koon bought over the land in 1956 and rented out small plots of it to families. By the 1960s, over 40 families have called this kampong home.
An exclusive ExplorerSG mini series where we reveal some of the lesser-known places, facts and history of Singapore.
Follow ExplorerSG on Facebook and stay updated on #exploringsingapore weekly series!
Istana Woodneuk is an abandoned mansion located along Tyersall Avenue. It entered the limelight in 2018 when it was revealed by Kevin Kwan, author of Crazy Rich Asians, that one of the scenes was inspired by the mansion.
The nickname “Little Red Dot”, a reference to how Singapore is represented in the world map, was first coined by late President of Indonesia Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie in an article published in the Asian Wall Street Journal on August 4th, 1998.
Unbeknownst to many, the former grounds of Orchard Road and Paterson Road was once a huge Teochew cemetery called Tai Shan Ting.
The last change was made in 1982, when West Malaysia (GMT +7:30) moved their clocks ahead by half an hour to match East Malaysia (GMT+8).
Located atop the 26-storey high Lagoon View condominium stands the Bedok Lighthouse, Singapore’s first fully automated and unmanned lighthouse.