Originally built as a burial ground for the Cantonese and Hakka immigrants from China, Peck San Theng cemetery later opened up to the wider Chinese community to meet burial demands in the country.
Discovered in 1909 by Chinese merchant Seah Eng Keong, the spring was frequented by villagers who sought the waters for its supposed healing powers. The neighboring village became known as Kampong Ayer Panas, or Village of Hot Water.
The 5-foot way (also known as wu jiao ji in Mandarin and kaki lima in Malay), referring to the covered walkways in many parts of Asia, is an unique architectural feature established by Sir Stamford Raffles.
On 31 January 1974, four armed terrorists (two from the Japanese Red Army and two from the Popular Front of the Liberation of Palestine) landed on Pulau Bukom - a small island south of mainland Singapore - in an attempt to bomb the Shell Oil Refinery and disrupt the regional oil supply chain.
Believed to be over a million years old, the 163-hectare Bukit Timah Nature Reserve is the oldest and biggest forest reserve in Singapore.
The Old Upper Thomson Road is the venue of Singapore’s first grand prix and played host to several exciting motorsports from 1961 to 1973 before its end citing safety concerns.
According to legend, the coast of Singapore was once infested with ferocious swordfishes that even the Royal Army were fearful of.
The tree is believed to have existed before the founding of the Botanic Gardens in 1859, putting the tree at over 160 years old!
Before it's now-popular name, Sentosa was formerly known as Pulau Blakang Mati, which means “Island of Death Behind”, in Malay.
Tucked away just off the main road of Grange Road, the modern mansion was the center of a legal dispute that spanned over four decades.
Completed in 1910, the majestic Anderson Bridge was built to alleviate traffic on the adjacent Cavenagh bridge — the oldest existing bridge in Singapore.
The name is a combination of “mer” — a prefix applied to partly sea-creatures —and “lion”. The lion head signifies Sang Nila Utama’s discovery of a lion when he first landed on the island, and the fish body pays tribute to Singapore’s humble beginnings as a fishing village.